Last Modified:
June 17, 2008


Ship's Log - 2001
Return to the Trouser Rollers' Home Page

Bill Dillon (KG4QFM)
Pat Watt (KG4QFQ)

     This Log is the journal of Callipygia's travels since her purchase in October, 2000, through the end of 2001. It documents our experience as beginning live-aboard cruisers.

         The map to the left shows our cruising route. Click on it for more information.

         We had our new boat laid up for maintenance and improvement projects at Herrington Harbor in Deale, Maryland, for the first six months. This gave us time to do some work ourselves and become familiar with the complexities of the boat's inner workings befor we took off on our shakedown cruise to Maine, and then working our way south to Florida.

                  This Log gives the latitude and longitude at the end of each day underway - or week in harbor - and describes navigation, weather, the boat and other issues that arose, and the many lessons we learned as beginning cruisers. Links embedded in the log's text lead to photos of our travels. These are assembled together on pages of the Photo Album.

          The log entries are reconstructed and summarized from Callipygia's Deck Log and Boat Notes which is where we documented our daily travels and travails.

Monday, April 30, 2001
On the hard, Herrington Harbour North, Deale, MD

          When we purchased her in October, 2000, Callipygia was on the hard at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard in Annapolis. After closing, Bill hired Jack Roden in early November to help him through the launch and delivery to Shipwright Marina, in Deale, where we had rented a slip. We held a boat-naming ceremony on November 21st (day after Bill's 65th Birthday) designed in the Lakota Indian tradition by friends Al and Vicki Adams. In early December we had Callipygia winterized and then moved her across the creek to Herrington Harbor North in late December to be hauled. We developed a long list of to dos to make her ready for the spring and summer sailing season.

          Below is a condensed list of the major improvements and repairs that we made since then--going, of course, way over our budget. We did what we could ourselves, and hired help when the work (most of it) was beyond our then competence. Of great assistance was Rich Wilder (NP2C), former owner, who went well beyond what could be expected in helping us understand how this lovely boat worked and the ins and outs of her (to us) very complicated systems. The transition from Tempus Fudgeit, Pat's Pearson 27, to Callipygia has been like transitioning from a bicycle to a 16-wheeler.

  • Replaced the hatch cover with Lexan and rebuilt the wooden cover (Buster Phipps);
  • Removed the mast steps while the mast was unstepped and replaced the corroding screws;
  • Took all the interior cushions to the American Foam Center in Arlington, VA who made custom replacements;
  • Replaced dodger, and installed bimini frame and bimini (Potomac Sailmaker in Alexandria, VA);
  • Surveyed sails, replaced main and staysail, and repair Genoa and Yankee (Potomac Sailmaker in Alexandria, VA)
  • Rebedded the chainplates;
  • Installed a Webasto heating system (Canvasback Marine);
  • Serviced all 9 of the (Barlow and Barient) winches;
  • Bought a Portabote folding dinghy and sailing kit (Big mistake!);
  • Diagramed and serviced all the through hulls and seacocks, replacing two of them;
  • Documented the boat (Atlantic Boat Documentation):
  • Surveyed rigging, unstepped and restepped the mast, and made replacements as warranted (Alpha Rigging);
  • Hoisted up the engine and made all the repairs/replacements according to the engine survey (survey by Chris Oliver, engine work by Conlyn Marine);
  • Serviced the life raft, and make replacements or additions to safety equipment to bring everything up to ORC standards (USA Services);
  • Affixed name and hailing port to the stern;
  • Registered to participate in the second New England 600 Cruising Rally, organized by Nautech;

          Since Bill retired last November, as of his 65th birthday, he has spent almost full time on this project. There has been a huge amount to learn and do - but it's likely just the beginning.


Thursday, May 31, 2001
on the hard, Herrington Harbour North, Deale, MD

          Pat retired as of April 30, and proceeded to add her efforts to Bill's to get everything ready and shipshape. Bill went to Engine City in New Jersey and spent 3 days at Mack Boring learning about Yanmar diesel engines. We had hoped that everything would be finished in mid-May so we could take some day sails and learn how to sail this--to us--BIG boat. (Pat's previous boat was a Pearson 27', ten feet shorter and weighed only 1/5th of this one.) Unfortunately, the engine work, begun the first week in February, dragged on and on and was still incomplete by the end of the month, still waiting for the heat exchanger. It didn't seem to be a priority for Conlyn Marine. We arranged for friend Mary to crew in the NE600 Rally, and Rich Wilder came down for Memorial Day weekend to go over everything with us and answer our myriad questions. We sanded and varnished, cleaned and scrubbed. We developed a storage plan, and went through everything on the boat. We organized all the equipment instructions in two 3-ring binders. We had the bottom painted (Herrington Harbour North) and launched and had her towed round to her slip at Shipwright Harbor on May 16. We spend all our spare cash at Fawcetts and West Marine. We measured the anchor rodes and chains, and painted marks every 25' on the primary anchor chain (158' of chain, and 175' of 5/8" line). We wrote up drills on 4" x 6" cards, and assembled Callipygia's Book of Lists. Pat got her teeth examined and fixed (at least as much as could be afforded). We bought charts and cruising guides.


Friday, June 15, 2001
Shipwright Harbor Marina, Deale, MD

          We spent many nights on board, readying everything we could lay hands on in readiness for the Rally. We provisioned and bought spare parts and tools. We invited our friends to an "Open Boat" day. We had radar installed. We bought 300' of 5/8" 3-strand nylon as a spare anchor rode. We made necessary arrangements to be gone from home for 6 weeks. We continued to sand and varnish. With assistance of Joe Nunnemaker (Baymaster Electronics) rewiring the boat began and 2 new AGM batteries were installed. Bow lights were replaced. We identified a problem with the voltage regulator and replaced it. We nagged and nagged Conlyn Marine and finally had to get the management of Herrington Harbour North to intervene to get the engine work completed. But finally, it was done, and on June 10th, Steve of Alpha Rigging, and Jack Wong, of Potomac Sailmaker, went out to sail with us to tune the rigging and check the new sails. When coming back into the slip, engine jammed in forward almost causing major havoc with some other boats. Quick action by Steve averted catastrophe. Brian from Conlyn Marine came over and identified problem and made adjustment to the transmission. We were very unhappy with Conlyn, leaving us with virtually no time to practice sailing or moving the boat around before the Rally.


Friday, June 22, 2001
on mooring in Annapolis Harbor

          We motored up from Deale on the morning of June 18, and began the Rally preliminaries. At registration, we met the crew on the other 19 boats. There were many activities including: rigging inspection; engine inspection; safety inspection; daily weather briefings; routing discussions; seminars on a variety of topics; and daily social activities. Found out that the dinghy motor needed to be replaced, so we bought a new one. Rachel, Bill's ex-wife and still friend, died of cancer. We made some inventory lists on 4x6 cards and taped them up with masking tape inside the cabin so all of the crew (Pat, Bill, Mary and Rich) would know where things were. We went over all our safety procedures. We figured out how to use the wind vane. We talked through the anchoring drill. We talked through how to use the autopilot.


Saturday, June 23, 2001
Schaeffer's Marina, C&D Canal

          Dropped our mooring at 0650 hours and headed out of Annapolis Harbor into the Chesapeake Bay. We motor sailed north and entered the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal in company of the other rally boats. at 1610 hrs we docked (tricky) at Schaeffer's Marina, on the edge of the canal. 53.0 nm, avge boat speed 5.0 knots.


Tuesday, June 26, 2001
on a mooring in Newport Harbor, Rhode Island

          We left Schaefer's at 0600 on Sunday morning and completed our passage motor-sailing through the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. We entered the mouth of the Delaware Bay and turned southeast to follow the Bay to its mouth where at 1904 hours we started offshore along the Atlantic coast towards New York. Mostly we motor-sailed, although were able to shut the engine off for a couple of hours in the early evening. We continued motor-sailing through the night and came into New York harbor in the late afternoon on Monday. After we refueled at Liberty Harbor, we joined other rally boats and headed up the East River to make it through Hell's Gate at slack tide and while there was still light. We motor-sailed down Long Island sound during the night, then along the Connecticut coast to Rhode Island on Tuesday morning. The Rally rules required each boat maintain sufficient speed to make certain waypoint deadlines, which meant we motor-sailed most of the way, although we were able to shut the engine off for short periods and ghost along on the light winds. We took a celestial shot on the sun at 1017. We arrived at Newport and picked up a mooring at 1344 hours. 319.6 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.9 knots (not counting time to refuel and for the Rally boats to reconvene in New York Harbor)


Friday, June 29, 2001
on a mooring in harbor at Provincetown, Massachusetts

          We spent two days in Newport waiting for favorable weather, did some sight-seeing, and enjoying the rally activities. Rich left us here to go back home as planned, and we will continue with just the three of us. We managed to tie the dinghy painter and the mooring line round the propeller on Thursday morning, and dunked the new dinghy motor. Our first big OOPS. Too long a story to give details here. Motor was taken by taxi to Yamaha dealer to get restored. Lessons Learned: Check position of all potentially threatening lines before putting the engine into gear when leaving a mooring.We dropped our mooring in Newport at 0625 this morning and motor sailed up Buzzards Bay and then motored through the Cape Cod Canal with the current--noticeably turbulent at times. We pulled off the Canal into Harbor of Refuge to refuel, quite exciting with the fast current and tight and blind entrance to the Harbor. We sailed for a couple of hours across Cape Cod Bay, arriving in Provincetown near dark with a 20 knot wind. We missed our mooring on the first try, then secured it on a second go round in the crowded harbor at 0800 hours. 89 nm by the log, avge boat speed 6.8 knots.


Tuesday, July 3, 2001
on a mooring in harbor at Camden, Maine

          We left Provincetown yesterday morning, after waiting for weather. Very high winds forecast over the weekend, and Sunday when Coast Guard announced possible gusts to 60 knots for the area we doubled the mooring lines, put out fenders, and removed dodger and bimini to reduce windage. Highest gust we recorded was 38 knots. We enjoyed the weekend in Provincetown, exploring and walking, and rented bikes for an afternoon. Dropped mooring at 1700 hours yesterday afternoon and left the harbor and headed north to cross the Gulf of Maine in the dark. Still trying to learn how to use the radar. We motor-sailed all the way turning into Penobscot Bay, then passing Monhegan Island at mid-day today. Many, many lobster pots all the way up the Bay. Picked up a mooring in Camden harbor at 1600 hours. 153.7 nm by the log, avge boat speed 6.7 knots. Total trip from Deale to Camden, 624 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.1 knots. 11days in transit, 4 of those days waiting for weather.


Tuesday, July 17, 2001
on a mooring, Provincetown, Massachusetts

          The Rally wrapped up its activities in Camden, and Mary left to visit friends in Maine. We won the Navigational Excellence award (we may not have known what we were doing, but we always knew where we were.) We are now faced with the reality of making it back to the Chesapeake with just the two of us as crew. Skipper is full of trepidations and butterflies. We found Ken McKinley of Locust Weather in Camden and arranged for him to provide us with weather analysis for the return. We were visited by our many Maine/New England friends and relatives. We rented a car and visited Bill's two daughters. We sat in a lot of fog, and learned our way round Camden. We got to know the staff of Wayfarer Marine, from whom we rented the mooring. We summoned up the courage to make our way back home just the two of us.

          We decided we'd go back the way we'd come, leaning on the familiarity of the route and the landmarks. We decided we'd also do some longish legs to prove ourselves and strengthen our experience. We dropped our mooring at Camden at 0749 hours yesterday morning and headed out of the harbor. Contrary to the weather forecast, the fog settled in quickly and we were very happy that we'd installed radar, even though we've a lot to learn about it. We motor sailed down Penobscot Bay and into the Gulf of Maine. The fog finally cleared at 1532 hours. We continued motor sailing through the night, and the next morning the cloud cover increased, and the rain started. We picked up a mooring in Provincetown harbor at 1230 hours. 165 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.5 knots.


Friday, July 20, 2001
Brewer's Capri Marina, Manhasset Bay, New York

          We took a day's break in Provincetown, then left yesterday morning at 0545 hours so as to catch the current through the Cape Cod Canal. We made contingency plans for where we would next stop depending on how we progressed. With luck we'd be able to get to Block Island in daylight. If not, then we'd proceed through the Race and Long Island sound overnight getting to Manhasset Bay in the morning. As luck would have it the railroad bridge in the canal was down, and we had to wait 25 minutes watching the current in the canal slow down. We hailed Tom Kat, one of the rally boats which also happened to be caught by the bridge. They had decided to take small hops back home. We decided we were too late to make Block Island, and since the current through the Race was favorable we came through in the dark, at 2100 hours. We continued motor-sailing up the Sound through the night, dodging tugs, and a few crab pots, docking at Brewer's Capri at 1118 hours this morning. 185 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.3 knots.


Saturday, July 21, 2001
Liberty Landing Marina, New York Harbor

          Left the marina at 0915 hours. Entered the East River and came through Hell's Gate at slack tide. Docked at the fuel dock across from Liberty Landing at 1230 hours. 19.5 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.0 knots.


Wednesday, July 25, 2001
Schaeffer's Marina, Chesapeake and Delaware Canal

          Enjoyed New York for the weekend, took great pictures of World Trade Center from Liberty Landing. [Little did we know...] The weather outlook wasn't great, but we decided to leave anyway on Monday since we were anxious to get home. We checked in with Locust Weather, and Ken confirmed that the winds and seas would not be very favorable, but nothing really bad was in the offing--it just wouldn't be very comfortable. Departed Liberty Landing at 0725 hours on Monday morning and headed through New York Harbor towards the Jersey coast. Motor sailed with reefed main into 20 knot winds, tacking periodically for comfort. Wind up to 22-24 knots, and swells built to about 5' by evening, but both subsided a bit during the night. Slow going down the rhumbline with tacks, but necessary for some comfort. Winds pretty constant on the nose, south-south west. By mid-day yesterday it was clear we were not going to get up the Delaware Bay and through the canal in daylight. Considered options. No good anchorages available, so decided that since we were somewhat familiar with Delaware Bay and Canal (Pat has transited these 3 times, including the Bay once in the dark) we would proceed using the radar as a navigation aid. Thank goodness for it! Turned into Delaware Bay at 1430 hours and let out more sail, lovely beam reach. Checked with Reeds Nautical Almanac to confirm that the Canal is lighted. Motor sailed up the Bay, just outside the channel to avoid the busy traffic. Arrived at Reedy Point near midnight, very very confusing lights. Radar picked up entrance to the Canal nicely, however, and along with canal lights guided us along it to Schaeffer's, where we gratefully docked alongside at 0313 hours this morning. 259.8 nm by the log, 5.9 knots


Friday, July 27, 2001
Shipwright Harbor Marina, Deale, MD

          We were getting ready to leave Schaefer's on Wednesday morning after we'd had a few hours sleep, but the engine wouldn't start. Nothing for it, but to diagnose and fix the problem. The starter key block was loose, and repaired by 10am, but decided to enjoy a day to rest. Walked across bridge over canal to Chesapeake City and explored a little. Left Schaefer's at 0605 hours yesterday morning to take advantage of current in Canal, and motored towards the top end of the Chesapeake Bay. Passed traffic (tug and barge) in the canal. Sky ahead very threatening. Squall hit at 0848 soon after we entered the Bay. Listened to radio, storm forecast for south of tidal Potomac to Norfolk to 4pm. Continued motor sailing, yankee only on and off because it's so easy to furl and unfurl, weather muggy and overcast, winds around 15 knots from the southwest--ie against us. Passed under the Annapolis Bay Bridge shortly before 3pm, stormy looking to the north. Decided not to run into Annapolis harbor and pickup a mooring--big mistake. Continued south because we wanted to get home. Approaching Herring Bay in late afternoon, visibility dropped drastically, then cold front arrived and winds switched to 20-25 knots from northeast, gusting to 30+. Driving rain and lots of thunder/lighting. Quite exciting. Chop in the shallow Bay picked up dramatically. No way we could pick our way in through the shallows of Herring Bay into Deale. Decided to run before the wind to Solomon's Island, since Pat very familiar with that harbor. Bad moment near Calvert Cliffs, helmsman confused by the lights while skipper making sandwiches below. Fortunately, she came up and saw the situation, quick action avoided catastrophe. Rain finally stopped at 2022 hours, and wind and seas began to drop. Thankfully tied up at fuel dock at Calvert Marina at 0220 this morning. 96.8 nm by the log, avge boat speed 4.8 knots. Lessons Learned: pay attention to weather forecasts when underway, and take shelter when storm is forecast, regardless of schedule.

          Left the Calvert Marina fuel dock at 0928 after re-fueling, and headed out into the Chesapeake Bay. East winds 15-18 knots. Lovely beam reach. Arrived back into our home slip at 1510 hours. 40 nm by the log, 6.9 knots. Total return trip from Camden, 766.8 nm by the log, average boat speed, 5.8 knots. 11 days in transit, 3 days waiting for weather or resting. We made it!


Saturday, September 1, 2001
Shipwright Harbor Marina, Deale, MD

          We are now moved aboard. Since returning from Maine we have: rented the house; sold one car; disposed of furniture except for a few things put in storage and a few others (piano, paintings) out on loan; moved out of the house onto the boat; and made all the other arrangements needed to finish our life on land. Much effort.


Sunday, October 14, 2001
Midway Marina, Conjock, North Carolina

          Since moving aboard we: organized and stored all our stuff; sold the remaining car; and readied the boat for the trip south. Ate a lot of fresh steamed corn dinners from crop of local farmer. Got acquainted with Max and Kristin on Kandu parked two slips down from us. Met Dana and Robert on ketch Trekka which came in for a couple of nights as a transient en route to the Bahamas. (We later got to know them in Luperon). We intended to leave on Monday, October 8, to give ourselves plenty of time to get to Melbourne, FL, for the SSCA Annual Meeting. However, Pat fell sick on Sunday, October 7, with a very nasty intestinal infection. She was too indisposed to lead the trip and so we delayed the start until our friend Ralph came up from Florida on Friday to lend a hand while she recovers en route. We left Deale at 0710 hours yesterday morning and picked our way through the shallows of Herring Bay out into the Chesapeake. The engine was having fuel hiccups, so switched primary fuel filters at 0900. Motor sailed down the Bay and arrived off Hampton Roads before sunrise. Waited for daylight to enter this busy harbor and entered the Inter Coastal Waterway (ICW). Used Maptech Chart kit, and two Cruising Guides. Checked off each marker as we went. Requires the full attention of the helmsman, often with assistance picking up navigation aids if the light is tricky. Learned to plan for bridge openings. Today, we had to deal with 11 openings--the most for the entire trip--and the only lock, at Great Bridge. The ICW was busy, with many boats in both directions. 187.6 miles by the log, average boat speed 6.9 knots.


Monday, October 15, 2001
Anchored at Tuckahoe Pt, NC, Mile 103.8 on the ICW

          Left Midway Marina (nice place) at 0835 hours this morning and motored here, arriving at 1800 hours. Ralph led the anchoring exercise, our first. Crossed the Albermarle Sound and through the Alligator River. Pretty. 1 bridge opening. 49 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.2 knots.


Tuesday, October 16, 2001
docked at the R.E. Mayo Shrimpworks, NC, Mile 157.3 on the ICW

          Left Tuckahoe Pt. at 0655 hours and entered the Alligator River-Pungo River Canal. Lots of birds, narrow. Followed the ICW markers, checking them off, crossed the Pamlico River, and entered Goose Creek. Thundery clouds ahead, not many options for stopping today, or for shelter if bad weather showed up. Saw and hailed some people on the side at the RE Mayo Company dock and learned we could tie up there for the night. Did so at 1440 hours. 2 bridge openings today. 48.9 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.3 knots.


Wednesday, October 17, 2001
Town Creek Marina, Beaufort, North Carolina

          Left R.E. Mayo at 0703 hours this morning and followed the markers through the Neuse River. Raised some sail for a while, saw the town of Oriental in the distance. Difficult to pick out the aids to navigation against the sun. As we entered the estuary near Beaufort, saw some dolphins. Arrived at Town Creek Marina at 1347 hours. Very tight slips. From the fuel dock, after refueling, went to the pump-out station. Went aground twice en route, despite assurances of marina staff that there was plenty of water there. Waited to float off, and then worked our way into a slip for the night. 40.9 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.1 knots.


Sunday, October 21
Charleston City Marina, Charleston, South Carolina

          One of the staff from Town Creek Marina worked on the head on Thursday to try to get it working properly, Fed Ex'd some parts from Defender and installed them on Friday morning. Still not creating a proper vacuum. We left the marina at 1354 on Friday to catch on opening of the last bridge before heading offshore. The wind was well up by the time we left, and it was very difficult getting out of the slip--virtually no room to maneuver, and trying to do so in reverse on these boats is always a challenge. We motor-sailed for a couple of hours then turned the engine off and sailed under yankee and mainsail. Nice beam reach, moderate southeasterly wind, but quite rolly. Ralph seasick first, then Bill, for a while. Turned the engine back on at 0630 hours on Saturday morning as we go around Frying Pan Shoal. At 0900 hours the Cetrek Autopilot quit. Motor sailed for the rest of the day as the wind and swells gradually subsided. Beef stew for supper, all stomachs happy. Fuel hiccups in the engine at 0300 this morning, so switched to the alternate primary fuel filter. Arrived at buoys marking the entrance to Charleston harbor at 0800 this morning, and found our way to the City Marina where we docked at 0950 hours. Quite a bit of current, making it somewhat tricky to get into our designated slip. 2-hr watches on this trip. 241.2 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.5 knots. They are installing some more bathrooms at this huge marina, but for now it is almost a 1-mile walk to get there. Island Packet Likeke from the New England 600 rally docked near by, reconnected briefly with Randy and Kathy again.


Saturday, October 27, 2001
Mayport Marine, Mayport, Florida

          Weather forecast for the next few days after arriving in Charleston wasn't great so we had some time to explore this interesting city, and to do some re-provisioning. Also did laundry. Found someone to look at the autopilot, spent some money to not fix it. We left Charleston yesterday morning at 0800 after refueling. Headed out the channel and motor sailed until well offshore. Turned engine off at 0953. Apparent wind from northwest at 20-25 knots. We flew along under sail, with the Monitor wind vane steering nicely. At 1400 hours the mast-head wind instruments and the Datamarine readout quit talking to each other. At 1830, the port (secondary) bow anchor came loose, had to be tied down. It came loose again, was retied more securely at 2045. At 0140 this morning we had to go to hand steering, Monitor can't handle these conditions, boat not well balanced. At 0448 hours we dropped the mainsail, flying along on a reach under jib alone. Should have reefed the mainsail or dropped it and raised the staysail before dark. Pretty cold during the night, turned on the Webasto heater for a couple of hours. 2-hr watches kept up through the night, hard work with hand steering. At 0953 hours this morning two small birds took refuge with us, one a small yellowish sparrow type, and the other warbler of some sort. They were exhausted, must have been blown offshore by these strong northwesterly winds. They huddled down in the lee of the cockpit dodger. At 1400 hours the little bird left and some seagulls attacked and drowned it. Some time later, the other one flew off. At 1315 hours turned on the engine (balky to start) to head towards the entrance to the St. Johns River and Jacksonville. Tied up at Mayport Marine at 1520 hours shortly after we entered the river proper. 188.2 nm by the log, average boat speed 6 knots. Went ashore, tired and hungry, for dinner.

Sunday, October 28, 2001
Comanche Cove Yacht Harbor, St. Augustine, Florida

          Left Mayport at 0810 and found our way up the St. Johns River and back into the InterCoastal Waterway. Glad we went offshore for a while to miss some of it. Cold and windy, east-north-east 20-25 knots.Interesting 10-mile canal/cut part of the way with houses close aboard on both sides. Arrived at Comanche Cove at 1345, still time to hitch a ride and explore a bit of St. Augustine. Nice marina, well sheltered from all this wind. Docking, a bit tricky. 34 nm by the log, avge boat speed 6 knots. 2 bridge openings.

Monday, October 29, 2001
Halifax Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach, Florida

          Left Comanche Cove at 0705 to catch the first of 9 bridge openings. Another windy day. Some dolphin sightings, so far no manatees. Arrived Halifax Harbor at 1420. 55.5 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.2 knots. Bill called his friend Frank Forrest, who came to meet us and we ate dinner together ashore.

Tuesday, October 30, 2001
Titusville Municipal Marina, Titusville, Florida

          After refueling and pump out, left Halifax Harbor at 0830 and motored along the ICW to Titusville. 4 opening bridges today. No mosquitoes that we could see as we passed along Mosquito Lagoon. Lots of big houses, most with huge screened in 2-story patios. Arrived at Titusville at 1445. 43.6 nm by the log, average boat speed 6.5 knots. Still windy!

Wednesday, October 31, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne Florida

          Left Titusville at 0815 this morning and motored down the ICW stopping at four bridges for openings. Arrived at the entrance to the Banana River and found our way into Telemar Bay Marina at 1355. 33.4 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.9 knots. Overcast, and not nearly so windy. Ralph will stay overnight and rent car tomorrow to drive down to Fort Pierce and start work on Owyhee II. Total trip from Deale to Melbourne: 865 nm by the log, average boat speed 5.4 knots. 18 days en route, 5 of these days waiting for weather or parts.

Friday, November 30, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Settled in and learned our way around Melbourne. Able to walk for most needs, but rented a car for a week to go back and forth and attend the SSCA Annual Meeting on the 10th and 11th. Very informative, met a bunch of people, sat in interesting seminars, and bought a bunch of stuff from the vendor displays. Reconnected with Max and Kristen on Kandu and Randy and Kathy on Likeke. Kandu was our neighbor at Shipwright Harbor in Deale, and Likeke also did the NE600 Rally with us. Steady effort on boat chores to get everything on the todo list done before heading to the Bahamas. A lot of work!


Sunday, December 8, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Pat's niece Kath, and her partner Chris, arrived in Miami from Wales (UK) today. We rented a car for the week, and drove down to Miami to meet them. Got to know Ed and Cheryl on Lady Bug, also parked at the marina.


Sunday, December 16, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Went sailing on the Indian River yesterday. Great breeze. Met up with Blue Moon, another Tayana 37. Wonderful to be actually sailing (if briefly) instead of grinding away on the todo list. Kath and Chris are great company, and started working on inventorying everything. What a great assist this will be. Extra hands for many trips up the mast, but time for reading too. Took some time off to go over to the beach (Atlantic) a couple of times. Found a bunch of "blue bottles" stranded. Discovered these were Portuguese Men-O-War. Went for a day to Sebastian Inlet State Park for a day and thoroughly enjoyed watching all the birds fishing.


December 17, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Bill lubricated the connections at the masthead today so the wind instruments are now working. He spliced new cable from the compass to the control unit for the CTrek autopilot, it still doesn't work. Very difficult having foreign-made equipment with no US support. Drove to Dial Plumbing to get custom-made connection pieces for the stove. It had gushed flames from the front control knob 3 days ago when Kath was cooking dinner. With encouragement of Bruce Bryn on M/V Szandia, Bill took stove apart, and then cleaned all the bits. Yuk! Valve in control knob gone, and some connecting parts don't meet safety standards. Now he is replacing them. Replacing the other valves at the same time. Lavac head still not creating proper vaccuum--Bill continues diagnostics. So far he has taken apart the pump and rebuilt it, and checked each component using blue-food dye in the water. A real conundrum. So far we've spent about $350 to pay marine contractors to not fix the autopilot and to not fix the head. Lesson Learned: Do it yourself.


December 18, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Kath and Chris have about finished inventorying everything in the boat. They have been real troopers grinding away at this. Even noted part numbers for each spare. Invaluable. We're putting it in a spreadsheet so we can sort it various ways. Called Blue Water and ordered additional charts and cruising guides. We sure have sunk a big chunk of cash in our navigation tools--probably no better way to keep our of trouble! Bill replaced the new parts, and painted the stove.


Saturday, December 22, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Bill went up mast (again) and replaced screw for masthead light. Pat completed inventorying all the blocks in the rigging. Had to do a bit of research to learn all the different types, and names of block parts. Reference: The Rigger's Apprentice. Bill in dinghy helped Ed of Lady Bug warp over to the main dock to have engine hauled. Ed used his Nicopress swaging tool to make us some wire lines to secure the dinghy.


Sunday, December 23, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Kath and Chris left to fly home to Wales. What a great visit. Their help with the inventory, etc., was awesome. So was their company.

Monday, December 24, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Pat's big toe infection has really flared up. Got small cut 3 months ago, failed to clean it and put antibiotic cream on it. Now it has an impressive bacterial and fungal infection requiring doctor visit. Went to Omni HealthCare in Melbourne. Soak 4x daily in warm water. Take 500mg Cephalexin by mouth, and put 1% Mentax cream on toe after soaking. Prescribed sufficient for 2 weeks now, and 2 weeks to have on board just in case. Lesson Learned: Take care of all breaks to the skin--bugs thrive in the marine environment.

Tuesday, December 25, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          First Xmas on board. Took ourselves out to dinner at the Hilton. Big buffet, most people older than we were. Bill replaced the engine starter key block.


Friday, December 28, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Took spare alternator to Discount Auto--tested it, no output. Took to Ace Alternator, who rebuilt it. Ordered Sunbrella and box of #2 grommets for making awning. Our grommet kit uses #2. Shopping list all done. Bill put head plumbing loop back together. Pump face place is leaking at one screw. Pat rigged and whipped ends of new mainsheet, and replaced 3 dying blocks.


Sunday, December 30, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Peggy-Of-Stony-Creek, a beautifully refurbished 1920s Chesapeake work boat is tied up at the bulwark at end of dock. Lovely boat. Met crew, Tim and Gretchen, and dog Tiller. Bill took apart the head pump, cleaned everything with muriatic acid. Still not working, has little teeny leak. Final batch of charts/guides arrived from Blue Water yesterday.


Monday, December 31, 2001
Telemar Bay Marina, Melbourne, Florida

          Last day here. Filled propane tank. Everything ready to leave tomorrow. Compiled annual cruising statistics for the year. We've come a long way.

Click here to continue reading the Ship's Log in 2002


Home | Site Map | Cruising | Logs | Seminar | Writings | Growing Old | Photos | Nuggets | Contact