(I) PRIOR TO LANDFALL
- Review passage plan for landfall, charts, cruising guides.
- Make sure you have written navigation directions and necessary/safe waypoints loaded into the GPS
- Develop Plan B for coming into harbor, if you don't already have one
- Transfer plotting work to large scale coastal chart
- Do radio check on the VHF
- If it looks like landfall will occur in the dark, or crew is tired, heave to WELL OFFSHORE and wait until morning.
- Begin coastal navigation routine
- Attach anchors to rodes and check the ground tackle
- Hoist the Q flag
- Check the depth sounder, and/or ready the lead line
- Rig mooring lines and fenders
- Ready the boat hook
- Turn on the engine, and check the transmission
- Disconnect the wind vane or autopilot
- Drop the sails
©2004 The Trouser Rollers. All rights reserved.
This page was last modified on:
August 9, 2009