The Book of Lists
When we were cruising, we kept a "Book of Lists." This was a 3-ring binder that had a set of numbered tabs separating each of the items listed below, with a hand-written table of contents at the front explaining what was behind each tab. This worked well as a filing system for us.
- Pages on which had been copied the Boat Emergency Reference Cards.
- Contact information: address lists; copies of boatcards and business cards; cruising rally parcitipant lists; potential crew list; printout of e-mail address book; etc, etc.
- Flag symbols and meanings; Morse code.
- Sail combination table, POLARS for the Tayana 37'.
- Storage placement and diagrams.
- List and description of all thru hulls, vents, and pumps, with diagram of placement.
- Tickler list of when registrations, certifications, insurance, etc., etc., expire and need to be renewed.
- Self survey check-off guide.
- Detailed long-distance passage departure checklist.
- Long-distance passage landfall checklist.
- Useful internet website URLs.
- Various training course checklists and emergency reference information.
- List of basic boat "SOPs".
Bill Dillon (KG4QFM)
Pat Watt (KG4QFQ)
This page was last modified on
August 9, 2009
Copyright 2005 The Trouser Rollers. All Rights Reserved.